Monday, October 5, 2009

Up the River

...the CT River that is.

Its been a while since I had proper internet access to post to the blog and much has transpired. I'll summarize quickly: From York Beach ME we had a long Thursday to end up in beautiful Cohasset MA (south of Boston). Mass Bay was kinda rough. Friday brought us to the Cape Cod Canal which, with a 3 knot tail-current, we whipped through in less than an hour (Spray making 10-11 knots over ground!), then on to anchor at Westport MA. Saturday was a downer for 3 reasons:
- Brother Steve disembarked so that he could travel to Germany on business
- The weather sucked (mucho wind, mucho rain)
- No travel accomplished (see above for reason)

Sunday was nice and Riggs and I motored in the sun for only a half-day to end up in Pt Judith Pond, RI. A nice anchorage, two nearby islands for Riggs to check out, and time to lower Spray's mast so the anchor light bulb could be replaced (took 3 hrs - that mast is heavy!).

Today was nice but there was a west wind that caused 3-4 ft chop against Spray's nose. Wasn't too bad so we pushed for Essex CT which is 3 miles up the CT river. My brother had arranged for a mooring at the Essex Yacht Club. We reached EYC against a strong river current and also wind and I was a little concerned about being able to grab the mooring without drifting back. That's probably why I sort of lunged at the pick-up buoy which caused my iPhone to leap from my shirt pocket into the aforementioned CT River. Its in 10 ft of water somewhere below Spray's bow (which is secured to aforementioned mooring).

If you have any idea what its gonna cost me to get a replacement iPhone or terminate my contract, then you understand what motivated me to don swim fins and mask and go diving in the murky brown current - alas to no avail. You can't see anything down there plus the current could have carried off the phone. Since I do have WiFi here I even emailed my buddy Ken and had him repeatedly call the iPhone, thinking I might hear it ring. Nope.

You readers may want to buy some ATT stock. They are gonna make some money off me.

I just took Riggs for a well deserved walk. Essex CT has to be one of the prettiest towns in the USA. The local church had just completed a 'blessing of the pets' service so Riggs got to meet many dogs (and goats too). I hope to meet my brother's better-half, Connie, tomorrow (if she'll check her email) and maybe visit an ATT store. It could get ugly.

Tentatively we continue westward in LI Sound on Wed. LI Sound is .... LONG!



No comments:

Post a Comment